The Izaak Walton Killam Memorial Scholarship at the University of Alberta is now available for applications from international doctoral candidates. This Scholarship at the University of Alberta in Canada is a $45,000 fund from the Killam Trusts Scholarships. For easy steps on how to apply click here.
The University of Alberta is now available for applications for the Izaak Walton Killam Memorial Scholarship from international doctoral candidates. This Scholarship at the University of Alberta in Canada is a $45,000 fund from the Killam Trusts Scholarships.
Excellent students registered in or acceptable to a doctoral program can apply for this one-year’s scholarship subject to renewable in year two of the award. In addition, students can benefit from any applicable International Graduate Differential Fee and a certificate of acknowledgment.
An honorary status is also included to this Scholarship. If a student wins an external scholarship, s/he must accept the external award. Hence, the Scholarship may become honorary and will get reduced or zero depending on the value of the external prize.
- Application Procedure: Departmental Nomination Based
- Departmental Nomination Deadline (GSMS Awards Portal): check the website
- Host Organization: University of Alberta
- Funding Body: Killam Trust
- Location: Canada
- Duration: 2-Years
- Degree Level: Doctoral
- Gender: Male/Female
- Eligible Countries: All
- Fields of Study: Various
Benefits of Izaak Walton Killam Memorial Scholarship
Excellent students can benefit from the Izaak Walton Killam Memorial Scholarship program for one year’s scholarship subject to renewable in year two of the award. In addition, students can benefit from any applicable International Graduate Differential Fee and a certificate of acknowledgment.
Also, parental leave will be given to the qualified candidates of the Izaak Walton Killam Memorial Scholarship at the graduate level. This benefit is effective 01st January 2023 and intended to support beneficiaries who do not have access to other paid parental leave.
Eligibility Criteria for Izaak Walton Killam Memorial Scholarship
All applicant should meet the following requirements to apply for the Izaak Walton Killam Memorial Scholarship 2023:
- Registered in or admissible to a doctoral program which is up to and including the sixth year;
Note: Transferred students from a Master’s to a Doctoral program can benefit from the number of months completed during the Master’s program towards the Doctoral Program.
- Being registered in a full-time doctoral program for at least 18 months as of May 2023;
- You must not have completed more than 48 months in the doctoral program as of 31st December 2022;
- You must hold first-class academic standing equivalent to a 3.5 Grade Point Average (GPA);
- You must hold the citizenship of any country;
- Apply for all fields available in the University;
- Should have completed at least one year of graduate work at the master or doctoral level before 1st May or 1st September.
To receive the Izaak Walton Killam Memorial Scholarship and the Dorothy J Killam Memorial Graduate Prize, submit any requirements to the relevant department. Applicants should apply before the departmental deadline and complete the followings. A complete application package includes the following:
- The Scholarship Application Form
- Two Reference Letters are completed and signed by each applicant’s referees; Also, applicants should submit a maximum of an additional two pages of confidential letter of reference to coincide the standard letter of reference form.
Note: Current doctoral students of the University should select one referee from their graduate program supervisor. The referees should submit the reference letters directly to the student’s department;
- Update Transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate studies; Except for the University of Alberta, all other institutions must submit copies of the official transcripts.
Note: Submit a complete application package and review the application form and documents before submission.
By deadlines, the department must submit eligible nominations to the FGSR via GSMS Awards Portal. Please note that the departments with more than 100 current doctoral graduate students can nominate a maximum of 5 nominations. Departments with less than 100 current doctoral graduate students can select a maximum of 3 nominations for the current year.
The FGSR Graduate Scholarship Committee will decide the competition. The FGSR will notify winners directly about their applications. The departments and students will not receive the final decisions until after the Killam Trustees meeting in May to early June 2023.
How to Apply for Izaak Walton Killam Memorial Scholarship?
All applicants should submit an online application for the Izaak Walton Killam Memorial Scholarship to their departments by the departmental deadline.
For more information about the Izaak Walton Killam Memorial Scholarship, please visit the University of Alberta’s official website or review the Scholarships and Awards Manual.
See more Opportunities: