George Mason University is now accepting applications for 2023-2024. Our institution takes pride in our outstanding reputation and unwavering dedication to providing innovative and engaging educational opportunities.
We welcome you to embark on a fulfilling journey towards achieving your academic and career goals by enrolling at our university.
We urge you to carefully review our admission criteria and explore the numerous benefits of studying at our esteemed institution.
To gain a comprehensive understanding of our admission policies and programs, we highly recommend visiting our exceptional blog, specially crafted for prospective students. This invaluable resource will equip you with all the necessary information to make an informed decision.
About George Mason University
George Mason University, a non-profit public state higher-education institution, was founded in 1957 in the suburban setting of Fairfax, Virginia. It is a coeducational institution with a large enrollment of over 45,000 students. It is officially accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges.
The university offers a wide range of courses and programs leading to bachelor’s, master’s, and doctorate degrees in various areas of study. This is shown in the UniRank degree levels and areas of study table. GMU has a selective admission policy based on entrance examinations and past academic records.
It has an admission rate range of 80-90%, making it the least selective institution. International students are also eligible to apply for enrollment, and GMU provides a variety of academic and non-academic facilities and services to its students, such as a library, housing, sports facilities, financial aid and scholarships, study abroad and exchange programs, online courses, distance learning opportunities, as well as administrative services. As of this year, the institution has operated for 66 years.
Why should I consider George Mason University?
George Mason University welcomes an exceptional student body from all 50 states and 130 countries, making it a college experience unlike any other. As Virginia’s largest public research university, Mason offers over 200 undergraduate and graduate degrees, as well as minors and certificate programs.
This is to cater for your individual educational and career aspirations. With a six-year graduation rate that surpasses the national average and no discrepancy based on ethnicity or economic status, Mason is proud to invite you to join the Mason Nation.
Mason is an R-1-ranked university with groundbreaking research that challenges the status quo. Mason faculty, staff, students, and partners work together to tackle pressing issues, shape policy decisions, and create meaningful impacts on the world. U.S. News and World Report rank Mason as the number one university in Virginia and ninth nationally among public institutions for innovation.
Mason is also among the top ten U.S. colleges and universities for research growth, as reported by the National Science Foundation. Additionally, Mason values free speech and is ranked in the top 20 nationally among public institutions by FIRE for fostering and welcoming it.
Mason’s community extends beyond the classroom, connecting with government, industry, and global opportunities. This will create an even more profound impact on the economy and workforce. Through Fuse, a 345,000-square-foot development project located in the innovation corridor of Arlington,
Mason provides an immersive atmosphere for students, researchers, commercial partners, and technical vanguards to participate in ideation and innovation. The Mason Enterprise Center has provided over 42,000 hours of training, counselling, and support for small businesses and entrepreneurs. The Mason Talent Exchange helps employers create micro-credential programs to fill critical skill gaps.
Mason’s commitment to excellence is reflected in the success of its graduates, with 89 per cent of recent graduates reporting positive career outcomes. Mason’s alumni create positive change in a range of industries, including healthcare, technology, nonprofits, government, and education.
Mason’s innovative faculty collaborate with aspiring minds across various industries to create lasting change. This results in unique interdisciplinary centres, institutes, and programs that are often the first of their kind. Join Mason today to experience a college education that thinks, works, and delivers in an entirely different way.
George Mason University identity
- Name of the university: George Mason University
- Acronym: GMU
- Year of creation: 1957
- Motto: Freedom and Learning
- Colours Mason green and Mason gold
George Mason University Campus Location
Address: 4400 University Drive
United StatesTel+1 (703) 993 1000Fax+1 (703) 993 1002
George Mason University Areas and Degree Levels
Arts and the Humanities
Business and Social Sciences
Language and Cultural Studies
Medicine and Health
Science and Technology
George Mason University tuition details
LevelLocal StudentsInternational StudentsUndergraduate10,000-12,500 US dollars (7,400-9,200 Euro)over 20,000 US dollars (14,700 Euro)Postgraduate15,000-17,500 US dollars (11,000-12,900 Euro)over 20,000 US dollars (14,700 Euro)
George Mason University Admission Information
University Admissions Information
- The University welcomes applications from both men and women (CoEd) as well as international students. Admission selection is based on entrance examinations and past academic records and grades.
- Admission requirements include a secondary school GPA, completion of a college-preparatory program, and submission of admission test scores. Recommendations are considered, but not required, and a formal demonstration of competence is also considered.
- Applicants must also take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) and submit their scores. Other tests such as Wonderlic or WISC-III are neither required nor recommended.
- The university has an admission rate of 80-90%. If you have questions or need further information, please contact the Admission Office at 4400 University Drive, MSN 3A4, Fairfax 22030. You can also call (703) 993-2400.
George Mason University Enrollment Profile
UniRank has provided key indicators regarding George Mason University’s size and profile:
Student Enrollment: More than 45,000 students
Academic Staff: Between 2,500 and 2,999 staff members
Control Type: Public State
Entity Type: Non-profit
Academic Calendar: Semester-based
Campus Setting: Suburban
Religious affiliation: None
George Mason University’s Carnegie Classification
- UniRank has officially classified George Mason University as a “Doctoral University: Very High Research Activity” in the Carnegie Classification.
- In the 2000 classification, it was categorized as “Doctoral/Research Universities-Intensive”.
- The university is a large four-year institution primarily for residential students with a high undergraduate enrollment profile.
- It is a more selective institution for four-year, full-time undergraduate programs with a higher transfer-in rate.
- The undergraduate instructional program is a mix of arts and sciences with professions, and there is high graduate coexistence.
- The graduate instructional program consists of professions and arts and sciences, but no graduate coexistence exists.
George Mason University Facilities and Services
George Mason University offers a variety of facilities and services, as summarized by UniRank. These include a library with both physical and digital items, housing options for students, sports facilities, financial aid opportunities, study abroad programs, distance learning options, academic counselling services, and career services. However, the university’s institutional hospital status has not been reported.
Read More: The University of Manchester Offers Admission for the 2023-2024 Academic Session
George Mason University accreditation details
George Mason University holds institutional recognition and accreditation from the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges. The university received its first accreditation in 1972.
In addition to its institutional accreditation, George Mason University has obtained specialized or programmatic accreditations from several organizations. These include the
- Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE)
- Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB International)
- Computing Accreditation Commission (CAC) of ABET
- Engineering Accreditation Commission (EAC) of ABET
- American Association for Leisure and Recreation (AALR)
- Council on Accreditation.
George Mason University Affiliations and Membership Details
UniRank has listed George Mason University’s significant affiliations and memberships. However, this list may not be exhaustive or current. For a comprehensive list, please refer to or contact George Mason University’s website. The affiliations and memberships are:
American Association of State Colleges and Universities (AASCU).
Association of Public and Land-Grant Universities (APLU).
Oak Ridge Associated Universities (ORAU)
National Athletic Association (NAA).
National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA).
George Mason University’s academic structure
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences
- College of Science
- School of Business
- Antonin Scalia Law School
- Volgenau School of Engineering
- College of Health and Human Services
- College of Visual and Performing Arts
- Schar School of Policy and Government
- College of Education and Human Development
- School for Conflict Analysis and Resolution
- Krsnow Institute for Advanced Study
George Mason University Social Media Platform
- Facebook: Review George Mason University’s Facebook page
- Twitter: Review of George Mason University’s Tweets
- YouTube: Review of George Mason University’s YouTube channel
- Instagram: George Mason University’s official Instagram page
- LinkedIn: George Mason University’s main profile on LinkedIn
- TikTok: George Mason University does not have an official TikTok account.
To get more information about the admission process, kindly visit the George Mason University admission official website to get the latest updates.
Other Admission Opportunities:
Washington State University Offers Admission for the 2023-2024 Academic Session
Vanderbilt University Offers Admission for the 2023-2024 Academic Session
Oregon State University Offers Admission for the 2023-2024 Academic Session