International Centre for Tax and Development (ICTD) call for applications is now available for four fully-funded Ph.D. Scholarships to Ph.D. candidates. The ICTD Ph.D. Scholarships is sponsored by the British and Norwegian governments, along with the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. The ICTD Ph.D. Scholarships is for Africa and South Asia candidates. For easy steps on how to apply for this ICTD Ph.D. Scholarships click here.
International Centre for Tax and Development (ICTD) call for applications is now available for four fully-funded Ph.D. Scholarships to Ph.D. candidates. Candidates from Africa and South Asia who wish to start their Ph.D. at the University of Sussex in Brighton (UK) can now apply in the academic year 2023.
The British and Norwegian governments, along with the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, are the generous sponsors of the International Centre for Tax and Development (ICTD) located at the Institute of Development Studies (IDS) at the University of Sussex. Furthermore, this research centre objective is to improve administration and tax policy in lower-income countries. They intend to fulfil their goal with collective research and engagement.
To be eligible, all candidates should propose Ph.D. projects focusing on taxation in African and South Asian countries. Hence, applicants can select a topic from a broad area in the field, focusing on any issue of their interest. Due to the multidisciplinary attribute of the ICTD, suitable proposals can select any disciplinary or interdisciplinary approach, including:
- Political Science
The ICTD exception is a competitive scholarship for the academic year 2023.
- Application Deadline: 15 March 2023 (23.59 BST)
- Application Status: Open
- Shortlisting: 31 March 2023
- Application Revised: 8 May 2023
- Final Decisions: 31 May 2023
- Host Organization: International Centre for Tax and Development (ICTD)
- Duration: 2 Years
- Location: United Kingdom
- Degree Level: Ph.D.
- Gender: Male/Female
- Medium of Instruction: English
- Number of Opportunity: Four
- Eligible Country: Africa and South Asia
- Fields of Study: Taxation (Economics, Political Science, Anthropology, etc.)
Benefits of the ICTD Ph.D. Scholarships
The Scholarship will cover the following allowances:
- University fees;
- A stipend of 17,668 GBP per year in line with UK research council funding;
- Funds to attend conferences
- Visa costs;
- Relocation expenses.
Also, successful applicants will benefit from the following:
- Fully participation in the ICTD team and networks;
- Residing at IDS or a department of the University of Sussex;
- For connections with the ICTD team and involvement in training opportunities, applicants will spend at least the first and third year at IDS or Sussex in person.
Eligibility Criteria for the ICTD Ph.D. Scholarships
All Candidates should qualify for the following criteria to apply for this Ph.D. scholarship:
- Hold a nationality of African and South Asia countries;
- Propose Ph.D. projects focusing on taxation in African and South Asian countries. Required Materials;
- Prove previous academic degree programs;
- Applications should meet three primary levels of English language proficiency, depending on the course applied for standard, high and advanced:
Applicants with IELTS Academic scores:
- Some small degrees require an advanced Academic IELTS total score of 7.0, with a minimum of 6.5 in each of the four components.
- For some degrees, an IELTS score of 6.5 with minimum 6.0 in each of the four components is a high score.
- A standard manner of an IELTS score of 6.0 with minimum 5.5 in each of the four components is needed for some degrees programs.
Applicants with TOEFL iBT Scores:
- Total 95 score and minimum 22 in Listening, 23 in Reading, 23 in Speaking, 24 in Writing for advanced manner
- Overall 88 score with minimum 20 in Listening, 19 in Reading, 21 in Speaking, 23 in Writing is a high number
- A total score of 80, minimum 17 in Listening, 18 in Reading, 20 in Speaking, 17 in Writing is standard number of TOEFL iBT.
Applicants with the CAE Scores:
- 185 total score, including at least 176 in each skill for advanced manner
- 176 totals, including at least 169 in each skill for high manner
- 169 overall, including at least 162 in each skill is a standard number of CAE for this scholarship
Applicants with the Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE) Scores:
- Advanced: 185 overall, minimum 176 in each skill
- High: 176 overall, minimum 169 in each skill
- Standard:169 overall, minimum 162 in each skill
Applicants with the Duolingo English Test Scores:
- All applicants should prove 140 totals as advanced manner, with no component score below 125
- High score for Duolingo is 130 total score with no component score below 115
- An overall 120 score, with no component score below 100 is a standard Duolingo score
Applicants with the Pearson (PTE Academic) Scores:
- Advanced: 67 overalls, including at least 62 in all four skills
- High: 62 overalls, including at least 59 in all four skills
- Standard: 59 overalls, including at least 59 in all four skills
Note: For more details about English proficiency, Kindly visit the link.
Documents Required for the ICTD Ph.D. Scholarships
Applicants should provide the complete list of documents required for the Ph.D. Scholarship:
Documents required for application till 15 March:
- Dedicated Form
- Research proposal (1500 words)
- Personal statement
Documents required for shortlisted candidates (deadline 8 May):
- Research proposal (2000-3500 words)
- Two academic references
- Degree certificates and transcripts
- English language qualification (where applicable)
How to Apply for ICTD Ph.D. Scholarships?
To submit a complete application package for the Ph.D. scholarship applicants must provide all required documents first and then enter the link below.
See More Opportunities: