Applications for the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science, and Technology (MEXT) Scholarships for master’s and doctoral studies at Yokohama National University are now open to international students. The MEXT Scholarship is sponsored by MEXT, Japan.
If you are interested for this MEXT Scholarship at Yokohama National University then make sure you read this to the end for easy steps on how to apply.
Applications for the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science, and Technology (MEXT) Scholarships for master’s and doctoral studies at Yokohama National University are now open to international students. Currently, there are two scholarships for the master course and five more for the doctoral course for the “Civil and Development” Program. Also, one Scholarship for master courses and three MEXT scholarships are available for the doctor course in the “Civil and ICT/IoT” Program.
This Program is research-oriented, although coursework, including attending lectures, is mandatory. The medium of instruction for courses is in English, and students must complete their dissertation works, including the adviser’s guidance, progress report, writing, and presentation in English.
Candidates interested in receiving the MEXT Scholarship for these programs can only apply for October enrolment in 2023. Students from countries with diplomatic relations with Japan are eligible to apply.
- Applications Deadline: N/A
- Host University: Yokohama National University (YNU)
- Funded By: MEXT, Japan
- Location: Japan
- Number of Opportunity: 11
- Degree Level: Master and Doctorate
- Funding Type: Partially-funded
- Medium of Instruction: English
- Fields of Study: Civil and Development and Civil and ICT/IoT
Benefits of the MEXT Scholarship
International students who apply for the MEXT Scholarship of Japan can benefit from housing, feeding, and transportation.
Eligibility Criteria for the MEXT Scholarship
The following requirements should be meet by applicants who wish to apply for MEXT Scholarship:
- Applicant must have the nationality of a country with whom Japan maintains diplomatic ties;
- You must be 34 years old or younger on 1 April 2023;
- Candidate must be able to come to Japan before the start of the Fall Semester in 2023.
- An applicant for both the Master’s and Doctoral programs should be in good mental and physical health;
- Applicant’s grade point average (GPA) must be 2.30 out of 3.00 or above;
- Proof of an Official English Proficiency Test Score, such as TOEFL/IELTS equivalent to CEFR level B2 or higher is must;
- Must hold four-year bachelor’s degree for master’s applicants and both bachelor’s and master’s degrees for doctoral applicants;
- Doctoral applicants need to demonstrate strong research potential.
Required Documents for MEXT Scholarship
Applicants need to provide and submit the following required documents:
- Application Form available in YNU Web Application System;
- Certification(s) of Graduation or Copies of Diploma;
- Official Transcript(s):
- For the Doctoral Program, certified transcripts demonstrating the applicant’s academic success in bachelor’s and master’s level courses
- For the Master’s Program, a certified transcript from bachelor studies demonstrating the applicant’s academic performance
- Academic Performance Entry Sheet
- Academic Performance Entry Sheet Format
- Academic Performance Entry Sheet Example
- Valid proof of English proficiency such as TOEFL and IELTS;
- Two recommenders’ names and contact information: Recommenders will receive a request to send an electronic recommendation letter for the applicant;
- Research Plan, including the abstract:
- It should be within five pages, A4 size paper, and PDF/Word file
- The abstract must be in the first 1/3 portion of the first page
- Describe in detail, particularly concerning the ultimate goal(s) of the applicant’s research at YNU
- Academic background and research methodology of applicants.
The brief details of the MEXT Scholarship selection process are as follows:
- The Program will make the selection based on the submitted documents.
- Applications will be evaluated against the applicant’s academic achievements in previous degrees, research potential as determined by educational documents, recommendation letters, the field of interest, and the study plan.
- Shortlisted applicants must complete more extensive application forms and other documentation for the formal procedure. During the selection process, the candidates may receive a request to participate in an interview by e-mail/Skype or other appropriate means.
- Candidates will receive notifications of the outcome of the selection process by the middle of March 2023.
- MEXT will approve the final list of selected applicants.
- The Program will notify the selected applicants of the final selection result and make arrangements for enrollment at Yokohama National University.
- MEXT will announce the final scholarship confirmation by the end of July 2023.
How to Apply for MEXT Scholarship?
Please start your application as early as possible by entering the link below. Applicants must apply online and upload all the required documents before the deadline. Please note that any handwritten application forms and documents sent by post, fax, or e-mail are unacceptable.
For more information about MEXT Scholarship at Yokohama National University, please visit the University Website or read the Program’s Application Guidelines.
See More Opportunities: