The Sasakawa Postgraduate Scholarship is open to international students who are seeking fully funded scholarships to study at the University of Leeds in the UK.
International students who are in financial hardship are eligible to apply for the Sasakawa Postgraduate Scholarship for the 2022-2023 academic session. To learn more about the scholarship opportunity, and how to apply for and benefit from the scholarship opportunity. Make sure you read this article to the end.
The scholarship award is divided into three categories. It is designed to assist and support ambitious applicants who want to pursue a postgraduate degree program at the University of Leeds.
About the Sasakawa Postgraduate Scholarship
The Sasakawa Postgraduate Studentship Programme supports the development of Japanese Studies in the UK. It is proudly sponsored by the University of Leeds. Launched and administered by the Great Britain Sasakawa Foundation and fully funded by The Nippon Foundation, the Programme provides up to 30 postgraduate studentships annually, each worth £10,000.
About the University of Leeds
The University of Leeds is a well-recognized public research university in Leeds, West Yorkshire, England. The university was founded in 1874 as a Yorkshire College of Science. In 1884, the college partnered with Leeds School of medicine and was renamed Yorkshire College.
It became part of the Federal Victoria University in 1887, collaborating with Owens College(known as the university of manchester) and university college Liverpool (known as the university of Liverpool). In 1904, King Edward awarded the university of Leeds a Royal Charter.
The University of Leeds has a total enrollment of 36,330 students. It is ranked as the 5th largest university in the UK out of 169 universities. The university had an annual income of £924.7 million in 2021 of which £177.3 million was derived from research grants and contracts.
The university has financial endowments of £87.4 million. In 2022, the university is ranked as the top ten British Universities by Financial Endowment. The university’s origin is traced to the development of Leeds as an international centre for the textile industry and clothing manufacture in the United Kingdom during the Victoria Era.
The university’s roots can be traced back to the formation of schools of medicine in English cities to serve the general public. Leeds was ranked as the 19th university among other multi-faculty institutions in the UK for attaining excellence in its research(GPA) and as 10th for its Research Power in the 2014 Research Excellence Framework.
In 2021, the Times Higher Education World University Ranking awarded Leeds university as 153rd in the world. In 2009, the university was awarded the Queen’s Anniversary Prize for services to engineering and technology.
The Importance of Studying at the University of Leeds
The University of Leeds is one of the largest research-based universities in the UK, a member of the prestigious Russell Group, and a centre of excellence for teaching. The school admission system is simple and easy to understand.
It offers a wide range of courses to choose from. The student life there is vibrant and active. In addition, students have the liberty of enjoying fantastic entertainment facilities to ensure they have fun just as they are working hard to study.
The university provides excellent support for students, both financially and academically. It gives graduates of Leeds University job opportunities. In other words, you stand a better chance of finding employment after studying at Leeds University.
Leeds University is a prestigious place for students to further their studies. A degree from Leeds can lead to greater career opportunities. You can be sure you’ll get a quality education. Similarly, studying at Leeds university gives you a wonderful and enriching environment.
Brief Details of the Sasakawa Scholarship
- Name of institution: University of Leeds
- Department: NA
- Program: Master
- Scholarship Award: £10,000
- Mode of application: Online
- Nationality: Local and international students
- Country: UK
Sasakawa Eligibility Criteria
- The Sasakawa Postgraduate Scholarship is open to students of different nationalities.
- Courses, subjects, and cultures related to the program will all be taught by the university.
- An applicant for a research degree program must hold at least a first-class or a second-class upper British Bachelor’s Honours Degree or its equivalent.
- PhD applicants must hold a Master’s degree.
Sasakawa Scholarship Application Procedures
- Applicants must submit their applications separately. It is necessary for all applicants to get a place centred around their course of study at the university in order to get this scholarship.
- In addition to their application for admission, applicants are required to submit the following documents: A previous degree certificate, photocopies of academic transcripts, proof of English Language Requirements, a personal statement and a copy of a valid passport.
- Applicants must hold a bachelor’s degree with a second-class honours degree in economics.
- English proficiency for a research study program in an IELTS exam must be 6.5 overall with at least 6.0 in each of the four skills (reading, writing, listening, and speaking). Similarly, applicants should contact the Graduate School Office for more details on the school’s requirements for English proficiency.
- The test must take place within two years of the commencement of the program for it to be valid. Degrees from countries where English is the primary language of instruction can be accepted if they do not exceed two years at the time of the proposed start date.
Benefits of the Sasakawa Postgraduate Scholarship
Successful applicants and the most deserving students will receive a financial award of £10,000 for one year to cover their program costs.
To get more information about the scholarship program, kindly visit the Sasakawa Postgraduates’ official websites to get the latest updates.
Other Scholarship Opportunities: