The University of California, Santa Barbara welcomes applications for the upcoming academic session of 2023-2024. Our institution is renowned for its dynamic and innovative approach to education.
We are delighted to invite you to join us on an exciting journey towards achieving your personal and professional aspirations.
We encourage you to explore our admission procedures and the myriad advantages of studying at our esteemed university. To learn more about our admission policies and the many benefits of studying at The University of California, Santa Barbara, we recommend checking out our blog. This is an excellent resource
About the University of California, Santa Barbara
The University of California, Santa Barbara (UCSB) is a public state higher-education institution established in 1921. It is located in Santa Barbara, a small city with a population range of 50,000-249,999 inhabitants, in a suburban setting in California.
Additionally, UCSB has branch campuses in various locations such as Berkeley, Davis, Irvine, Los Angeles, Merced, Riverside, San Diego, San Francisco, and Santa Cruz.
As a coeducational institution, UCSB has a large enrollment range of 25,000-29,999 students, and it is officially accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission. This university offers bachelor’s, master’s, and doctorate degrees in various areas of study, as detailed in the UniRank degree levels and areas of study matrix below.
UCSB has a selective admission policy that considers students’ past academic records, grades, and entrance examination scores. Admission rates range between 30-40%, making this institution very selective. International students are also welcome to enrol.
Apart from its academic offerings, UCSB provides several academic and non-academic facilities and services to students, including a library, housing, sports facilities, financial aid and/or scholarships, study abroad and exchange programs, online courses, distance learning opportunities, and administrative services.
UCSB has been in existence for 102 years, and it continues to provide quality higher education for its students.
Why choose the University of California, Santa Barbara
- Strong academic programs: UCSB offers over 200 undergraduate and graduate degree programs in a wide range of disciplines, including science, engineering, the humanities, social sciences, and the arts. Many of these programs are highly ranked nationally and internationally.
- Research opportunities: As a research-intensive university, UCSB offers many opportunities for students to engage in research projects and work closely with faculty members. The university is home to several research centres and institutes, and students have access to state-of-the-art research facilities.
- Beautiful campus location: UCSB is located in one of the most beautiful parts of California, with stunning views of the Pacific Ocean and the Santa Ynez Mountains. The campus itself is known for its picturesque setting and modern, sustainable architecture.
- Student life: UCSB has a vibrant and diverse student body, with over 25,000 students from around the world. The university offers a wide range of clubs, organizations, and activities for students to participate in, as well as excellent athletic facilities and programs.
- Career opportunities: UCSB has a strong reputation for producing successful graduates who pursue rewarding careers in a variety of fields. The university has a robust career services office that provides students with guidance and support as they prepare to enter the workforce.
Overall, UCSB is an excellent choice for students looking for a challenging academic environment, opportunities for research and professional development, and a vibrant and engaging campus community.
University of California, Santa Barbara identity
- Name of the university: University of California, Santa Barbara
- Acronym: UCSB
- Year of creation: 1921 Origins date back to 1891
- Motto: Fiat Lux, Let there be light
- Colours: blue and gold
University of California, Santa Barbara campus location
Address: 5221 Cheadle Hall
United StatesTel+1 (805) 893 8000Fax+1Other locationsBerkeley, Davis, Irvine, Los Angeles, Merced, Riverside, San Diego, San Francisco, Santa Cruz
University of California, Santa Barbara Areas of Study & Degree Levels
UniRank’s Study Areas and Degree Levels Matrix™ categorizes academic disciplines into undergraduate and postgraduate levels across various fields of study:
- Arts and the Humanities
- Business and Social Sciences
- Language and Cultural Studies
- Medicine and Health
- Science and Technology
- Arts and the Humanities
- Business and Social Sciences
- Language and Cultural Studies
- Medicine and Health
- Science and technology
University of California, Santa Barbara tuition ranges
Annual tuition fees per academic year are categorized by uniRank Tuition Range Matrix™ as follows:
For undergraduate and postgraduate studies:
- Local students: 12,500-15,000 US$ (9,200-11,000 Euro)
- International students: over 20,000 US$ (14,700 Euro)
University of California, Santa Barbara Academic Information
- The University welcomes applications from both men and women and is designated as an Asian American, Native American, or Pacific Islander-serving institution.
- International students are also encouraged to apply for admission.
- Selection for admission is based on academic records and grades, as well as entrance examinations.
- To be considered for admission, applicants must meet the following requirements:
- A secondary school GPA is required
- Secondary school rank is neither required nor recommended
- Secondary school records are required
- Completion of a college-preparatory program is required
- Recommendations are neither required nor recommended
- Formal demonstration of competencies is neither required nor recommended
- Admission test scores are required
- A Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) is required
- Other tests, such as Wonderlic or WISC-III, are neither required nor recommended.
- The University admission rate is typically between 30% and 40%.
- For further information or assistance with the admission process, prospective students may contact the admission office located at 1210 Cheadle Hall, Santa Barbara, 93106-2014, or call (805) 893-2881.
Read More: The Georgia Institute of Technology Offers Admission for the 2023-2024 Academic Session
University of California, Santa Barbara Enrollment Profile
Size and characteristics:
- Student enrollment ranges from 25,000 to 29,999.
- The academic staff comprises 1,000 to 1,499 members.
- The control type is Public State.
- The entity type is Non-profit.
- The academic calendar is based on quarters.
- The campus setting is suburban.
- There is no religious affiliation associated with the institution.
The University of California, Santa Barbara Carnegie Classification Updates
- The updated Carnegie Classification categorizes the institution as a “Doctoral University with Very High Research Activity.”
- In the 2000 Classification, it was classified as an “Extensive Doctoral/Research University.”
- The institution is a largely residential four-year university with a high undergraduate enrollment profile.
- It is a more selective institution with a focus on arts and sciences in the undergraduate instructional program, with a high level of coexistence with graduate programs.
- In the graduate instructional program, the institution offers professions-based programs in addition to the arts and sciences, but there is no coexistence with the undergraduate program.
UCSB Facilities and Services
Facilities and services available at the Santa Barbara include:
- Library: The University of California-Santa Barbara has a library collection with both physical and digital items. As of 2018, the library reported having 2,583,659 physical volumes, 301,631 physical media, and 717 licensed digital/electronic databases. There is one library branch.
- Housing: On-campus housing is available for University of California, Santa Barbara students. In the 2018 academic year, the total dormitory capacity (including on and off-campus housing) was approximately 10,129 students.
- Sports Facilities: The University of California, Santa Barbara offers sports facilities for students.
- Financial Aid: Financial aid is available to eligible students at the University of California, Santa Barbara.
- Study Abroad: The University of California, Santa Barbara offers study abroad programs.
- Distance Learning: Distance learning opportunities are available at the University of California, Santa Barbara.
- Academic Counseling: Academic counselling services are available to University of California, Santa Barbara students.
- Career Services: Career services are available to University of California, Santa Barbara students.
- Institutional Hospital: An institutional hospital has not been reported.
University of California, Santa Barbara accreditation details
Accreditation of the institution:
Institutional Accreditation: WASC Senior College and University Commission
Year of initial accreditation: 1949
Other specialized or programmatic accreditations:
- Computing Accreditation Commission (CAC) of ABET
- Engineering Accreditation Commission (EAC) of ABET
- American Chemical Society (ACS).
- National Association of Schools of Dance (NASD), Commission on Accreditation
University of California, Santa Barbara Affiliations and Membership Details
- The University of California System has affiliations or memberships with the following organizations:
- Association of American Universities (AAU).
- Association of Public Land-grant Universities (APLU).
- National Athletic Association (NAA).
- National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA).
The University of California, Santa Barbara’s academic structure
- College of Creative Studies
- College of Engineering
- Bren School of Environmental Science and Management
- Gevirtz Graduate School of Education
- College of Letters and Science
University of California, Santa Barbara Social Media Platforms
- The Facebook page for, Santa Barbara serves as a platform for social networking and community engagement.
- Twitter: Santa Barbara’s Twitter page offers micro-blogging and news updates to keep the community informed.
- LinkedIn: For academic and business networking, the University of California, Santa Barbara maintains a LinkedIn profile.
- YouTube: Santa Barbara’s YouTube channel features videos showcasing various aspects of the university.
- TikTok: Unfortunately, UCSB does not currently have an official TikTok account.
- Instagram: UCSB Instagram or Flickr account is where you can find and enjoy beautiful and inspiring photos of campus and student life.
To get more information about admission, Kindly visit the University of California, Sanat Barbara admission official website to get the latest updates.
Other Admission Opportunities:
Georgetown University Offers Admission to the 2023-2024 Academic Session
The University of Edinburgh Offers Admission for the 2023-2024 Academic Session
Indiana University Bloomington Offers Admission to the 2023-2024 Academic Session