The University of Pittsburgh is currently accepting applications for the 2023-2024 academic session. Our academic community is characterized by dynamism and innovation. We welcome you to join us on this exciting journey towards your personal and professional goals.
We encourage you to look at our admission procedures and learn more about the benefits of studying at our esteemed institution. By visiting our blog, you can gain valuable insights into our admission policies and the wide-ranging benefits of joining the University of Pittsburgh community.
About the University of Pittsburgh
The University of Pittsburgh, established in 1787, is a non-profit public institution of higher education situated in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Pittsburgh is a medium-sized urban area with a population range of 250,000-499,999. The university has branch campuses in Greensburg, Johnstown, Bradford, and Titusville.
Accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education, the University of Pittsburgh is a coeducational institution with a large student body (enrollment range: 30,000-34,999) that offers a variety of academic programs leading to undergraduate and graduate degrees in various fields of study.
Admission to the university is selective, based on entrance examinations, past academic records, and grades, with an acceptance rate ranging from 50-60%. International students are also encouraged to enrol. In addition to academic courses, the university provides a range of academic and non-academic resources to its students, including a library, housing, sports facilities, scholarships and financial aid, study abroad and distance learning opportunities, as well as administrative support.
Why choose the University of Pittsburgh
- Academic Excellence: The University of Pittsburgh is consistently ranked as one of the top public universities in the United States. It offers a wide range of programs and degrees, from business and engineering to the humanities and social sciences. It has a reputation for rigorous academic standards.
- Research Opportunities: The University of Pittsburgh is a major research institution with a long history of groundbreaking discoveries and innovations. Students have access to state-of-the-art research facilities and opportunities to work alongside world-class researchers in a variety of fields.
- Location: Pittsburgh is a vibrant and dynamic city with a rich cultural history and a thriving arts scene. It is also home to numerous major corporations, including Google, Uber, and PNC Bank, which provide ample opportunities for internships and post-graduation employment.
- Community: The University of Pittsburgh is a diverse and inclusive community with a strong sense of social responsibility. Students are encouraged to get involved in community service projects and advocacy and activism on issues that matter to them.
- Support: The University of Pittsburgh is committed to providing its students with the resources and support they need to succeed. From academic advising to career counselling to mental health services, the university offers a wide range of support services designed to help students achieve their goals.
The University of Pittsburgh’s identity
- Name of the university: University of Pittsburgh
- Acronym: No information was given
- Year of creation: 1787
- Motto: Veritas et VirtusTruth and virtue
- Colours: Blue and gold
The University of Pittsburgh Campus Location
Address 4200 Fifth Avenue
United StatesTel+1 (412) 624 4141Fax+1Other locationsGreensburg, Johnstown,
Pittsburgh Areas of Study & Degree Levels
Matrix of Study Areas and Degree Levels by UniRank
Degree Levels: Undergraduate, Postgraduate
- Arts and the Humanities
- Business and Social Sciences
- Language and Cultural Studies
- Medicine and Health
- Science and Technology
The University of Pittsburgh’s tuition ranges
- The UniRank Tuition Range Matrix™ displays annual tuition fees for undergraduate and postgraduate courses. The range varies for both domestic and international students.
- For local undergraduate students, the yearly tuition fee ranges from 17,500 to 20,000 US dollars (equivalent to 12,900-14,700 euros). Postgraduate studies for local students cost over 20,000 US dollars (equivalent to 14,700 euros).
- International students pay over 20,000 US dollars (equivalent to 14,700 euros) for undergraduate and postgraduate courses.
The University of Pittsburgh Academic Information
University Admissions Information:
- The university welcomes both men and women as co-ed students, including international applicants. Admission selection is based on entrance examinations and students past academic records and grades.
- The university requires a college-preparatory program, a secondary school record, and a minimum grade point average from secondary school.
- Secondary school rank is considered, but not necessary.
- Recommendations are also considered but not required. Formal demonstration of competencies is neither required nor recommended, and other tests such as Wonderlic or WISC-III are neither necessary nor recommended.
- The university recommends admission test scores and requires a Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) for non-native English speakers.
- The university’s admission rate ranges from 50-60%, and the admission office is located at 4227 Fifth Avenue, 1st Floor, Alumni Hall, Pittsburgh 15260. For further information, contact (412) 624-7488.
The University of Pittsburgh Enrollment Profile
Size and Characteristics:
- The student enrollment of the institution ranges from 30,000 to 34,999, while the academic staff comprises over 5,000 individuals.
- The institution is classified as a non-profit entity and is publicly controlled, with a semester-based academic calendar.
- The campus is located in an urban setting and is not affiliated with any religious group.
The University of Pittsburgh Carnegie Classification
- The updated Carnegie Classification designates this institution as a Doctoral University with Very High Research Activity. In the 2000 classification, it was categorized as a Doctoral/Research University with extensive research programs.
- It is a residential, four-year institution with a large student population. The majority of students are undergraduates who attend full-time, and the institution is selective with low transfer-in rates.
- The instructional program is balanced between the arts and sciences and professional fields. It has a high level of coexistence between graduate and undergraduate programs at the institution.
Read More: Indiana University Bloomington Offers Admission to the 2023-2024 Academic Session
The University of Pittsburgh Facilities and Services
Facilities and services available at the University of Pittsburgh include:
- Library: The University of Pittsburgh-Pittsburgh Campus has a vast collection of physical and digital/electronic items in its library. As of 2018, the library had 3,207,535 physical volumes, 470,764 physical media, 58,969 digital/electronic mediums, and 571 licensed digital/electronic databases. The library has 16 branches, and students can access it for academic needs.
- Housing: The University of Pittsburgh offers on-campus housing facilities for its students. In the 2018 academic year, the total dormitory capacity, on or off campus, was 7,831 students.
- Sports Facilities: The University of Pittsburgh has various sports facilities available for its students, including fields, courts, and gyms. Students can participate in different sports and fitness activities to maintain a healthy lifestyle.
- Financial Aid: The University of Pittsburgh provides financial aid to students who need it. Students can apply for scholarships, grants, loans, and work-study programs to fund their education.
- Study Abroad: Students at the University of Pittsburgh can explore various opportunities to study abroad and gain international exposure. The university has partnerships with various institutions worldwide, offering students the chance to study in different countries.
- Distance Learning: The University of Pittsburgh offers distance learning programs that allow students to complete their degrees online. The university provides various online courses and programs to cater to students who cannot attend classes on campus.
- Academic Counseling: The University of Pittsburgh offers academic counselling services to students who need guidance and support. Students can avail themselves of academic advising, tutoring, and mentorship services to achieve academic success.
- Career Services: The University of Pittsburgh provides career services to students to help them prepare for their future careers. The university offers career counselling, resume writing, and job search assistance to students to help them find employment after graduation.
- Institutional Hospital: Information about the institutional hospital at the University of Pittsburgh is unavailable.
University of Pittsburgh Accreditation Details
Institutional Accreditation: Middle States Commission on Higher Education
Other specialized or programmatic accreditations:
- Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE).
- Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB International).
- Council on Accreditation of Nurse Anesthesia Educational Programs (AANA).
- Engineering Accreditation Commission (EAC) of ABET
The University of Pittsburgh Affiliations and Membership Details
- Association of American Universities (AAU).
- Association of Public and Land-Grant Universities (APLU).
- Oak Ridge Associated Universities (ORAU)
The University of Pittsburgh’s academic structure
- College of Business Administration
- College of General Studies
- Graduate School of Public and International Affairs
- Graduate School of Public Health
- Joseph M.Katz Graduate School of Business
- School of Arts and Sciences
- School of Dental Medicine
- School of Education
- School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences
- School of Information Sciences
- School of Law
- School of Medicine
- School of Nursing
- School of Pharmacy
- School of Social Work
- Swanson School of Engineering
- University Honors College
The University of Pittsburgh Social Media Platforms
Facebook: The University of Pittsburgh’s Facebook page is designed for social networking purposes.
Twitter: The University of Pittsburgh’s Twitter page provides micro-blogging and news updates.
LinkedIn: The University of Pittsburgh’s LinkedIn profile is aimed at business and academic networking.
YouTube: The University of Pittsburgh’s YouTube channel (or Vimeo channel) hosts videos.
TikTok: The University of Pittsburgh’s TikTok channel shares videos.
Instagram: The University of Pittsburgh’s Instagram account (or Flickr account) shares photos.
To get more information about admission, kindly visit the University of Pittsburg admission official website to get the latest updates.
Other Admission Opportunities:
The University of Utah Offers Admission to the 2023-2024 Academic Session
North Carolina State University Offers Admission for the 2023-2024 Academic Session
The University College London Offers Admissions for the 2023-2024 Academic Session