Applications are now being accepted for the 2023-2024 academic year at the University of Rochester, an institution recognized for its innovative and dynamic approach to education.
We welcome you to embark on an exciting journey towards achieving your personal and professional aspirations by joining our esteemed university.
We invite you to delve into our admission procedures and discover the numerous advantages of studying at our prestigious institution. To gain insight into our admission policies and the benefits of choosing the University of Rochester, we highly recommend exploring our exceptional blog, which serves as a valuable resource for prospective students.
About the University of Rochester
The University of Rochester, established in 1850, is a non-profit private institution of higher education situated in the urban area of Rochester, New York. It has a population range of 50,000-249,999 inhabitants. This co-educational institution is officially accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education and has an enrollment range of 10,000-14,999 students.
UR offers a variety of programs and courses that lead to recognized degrees, including bachelor’s, master’s, and doctorate degrees, in various areas of study. The admission process is highly selective, based on past academic records and grades, with an admission rate range of 20-30%. International students are encouraged to enrol.
The university provides academic and non-academic services and facilities, such as a library, housing, sports facilities, financial aid, scholarships, study abroad and exchange programs, online courses, distance learning opportunities, and administrative services. UR has a rich 173-year history.
Why should I consider the University of Rochester?
The University of Rochester, conveniently located near my home, offers exceptional medical education and ample opportunities for practical experience through its well-equipped labs. As a research-oriented institution, it also provides a multitude of avenues for conducting research, and its faculty members are highly knowledgeable in the medical domain.
Rochester – A Vibrant College Town For college students, Rochester is a remarkable city with a plethora of enticing features. The University of Rochester and the city of Rochester jointly provide an accessible and affordable transit system. The University’s shuttles offer students convenient transportation from the River Campus to the Eastman Campus, College Town, the marketplace,
and many other shopping and university locations. This service is particularly beneficial for students who do not have cars and wish to explore the area during their leisure time. In Rochester, students can explore numerous indoor and outdoor attractions such as The Strong National Museum of Play, George Eastman Museum, Rochester Public Market, Memorial Art Gallery, Eastman Theatre, and more. Rochester’s diverse range of indoor and outdoor activities makes it an ideal place to enjoy both the winter and warmer months.
The Rochester Approach to Education The University of Rochester has a distinctive curriculum, where only one course is compulsory for undergraduate students – the primary writing requirement. The curriculum does not follow a traditional core or general education program.
All first-year students enrol in WRT 105, which has several topic options catering to students’ diverse backgrounds and interests. This course provides students with flexibility and the opportunity to explore their passions. In their chosen major, students have a broad range of courses to choose from to fulfill the humanities, social sciences, natural sciences, and engineering requirements.
Students can choose clusters within each discipline to gain a better understanding of their chosen field. The number of clusters and electives varies depending on the student’s major.
The University of Rochester’s identity
- Name of the university: University of Rochester
- Acronym: UR
- Year of creation: 1850
- Motto: Meliora, Always Better
- Colours: Dandelion yellow and Rochester blue
The University of Rochester Campus Location
Address: 300 Wilson Boulevard
14627-0011 New York
United StatesTel+1 (585) 275 2121Fax+1 (585) 461 4595
The University of Rochester Areas of Study & Degree Levels
UniRank’s Matrix™ of Study Areas and Degree Levels:
- Arts and the Humanities
- Business and Social Sciences
- Language and Cultural Studies
- Medicine and Health
- Science and Technology
The University of Rochester Tuition Details
The UniRank Tuition Range Matrix™ indicates that both undergraduate and postgraduate programs have a tuition range of over 20,000 US dollars (or 14,700 euros) for both local and international students.
The University of Rochester Admission Information
University Admission Requirements:
- The university welcomes male and female students from all over the world.
- Admission is based on students’ past academic records and grades.
- Secondary school GPA and rank are neither required nor recommended.
- However, a secondary school record and completing a college-preparatory program are mandatory.
- Recommendations are also required, while a formal demonstration of competence is recommended.
- Admission test scores are neither required nor recommended, and neither are other tests such as Wonderlic, WISC-III, etc.
- International applicants are welcome to apply for admission.
- Although a Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) is recommended, it is not mandatory.
- The admission rate is between 20-30%.
- The Admission Office is located at 100 Wallis Hall, Box 270251, Rochester 14627-0251, and can be contacted at (585) 275-3221.
The University of Rochester’s Enrollment Profile
Size and characteristics:
- Student Enrollment: Between 10,000 and 14,999.
- Academic Staff: Between 2,500 and 2,999.
- Control Type: Private.
- Entity Type: Non-profit.
- Academic Calendar: Semesters.
- Campus Setting: Urban.
- Religious affiliation: None.
The University of Rochester Carnegie Classification
- The updated Carnegie Classification categorizes this institution as a “Doctoral University with Very High Research Activity”.
- In the previous 2000 classification, it was labelled as an “Extensive Doctoral/Research University”.
- This is a large, four-year residential institution, with the majority of its enrollment undergraduates.
- It is a selective institution that admits first-time, full-time students, with relatively fewer transfer students.
- The undergraduate program offers a four-year curriculum in the arts and sciences, as well as professional fields.
- The institution has a significant presence of graduate students, with a high level of coexistence between graduate and undergraduate programs.
- Graduate programs have a balanced mix of the arts and sciences, as well as professional fields.
UR Facilities and Service
Facilities and services offered by the University of Rochester include:
- Library: The University of Rochester’s library collection consists of physical items such as books and media, as well as digital/electronic items. The library reported having 3,244,749 physical volumes, 156,248 physical media, 56,240 digital/electronic media, and 599 licensed digital/electronic databases in 2018. The university has 7 branches.
- Housing: The University of Rochester provides on-campus housing, with a total dormitory capacity of about 1,350 students in the 2018 academic year.
- Sports Facilities: The University of Rochester offers sports facilities.
- Financial Aid: Financial aid is available to eligible students.
- Study Abroad: The University of Rochester offers study abroad programs.
- Distance Learning: The University of Rochester offers distance learning programs.
- Academic Counseling: Students can receive academic counselling.
- Career Services: Career services are available to students.
- Institutional Hospital: The University of Rochester has an institutional hospital.
University of Rochester Accreditation Details
The institution holds institutional accreditation from the Middle States Commission on Higher Education, as well as specialized or programmatic accreditations from the
- Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB International)
- Engineering Accreditation Commission (EAC) of ABET.
The University of Rochester Affiliations and Membership Details
The 568 Group has memberships and affiliations with various organizations, including:
- Associated Universities, Inc. (AUI)
- Association of American Universities (AAU).
- National Athletic Association (NAA).
- National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA).
The University of Rochester’s academic structure
- Eastman School of Music
- Margraret Warner Graduate School of Education and Human Development
- School of Medicine and Dentistry
- School of Nursing
- College of Arts, Sciences and Engineering
- William E. Simon Graduate School of Business Administration
The University of Rochester Social Media Platform
- Facebook: The University of Rochester’s Facebook page is a social networking platform.
- Twitter: The University of Rochester’s Twitter page provides micro-blogging and news updates.
- LinkedIn: The University of Rochester’s LinkedIn profile is geared towards business and academic networking.
- YouTube: The University of Rochester’s YouTube or Vimeo channel features videos.
- TikTok: There is no information available regarding the University of Rochester’s TikTok account.
- Instagram: The University of Rochester’s Instagram or Flickr account showcases photos.
To get more information about the admission process, kindly visit the University of Rochester admission official website to get the latest updates.
Other Admission Opportunities: