TÜBİTAK-TWAS Postgraduate and Postdoctoral Fellowship Programs applications are now open for the academic year 2023. This program is sponsored by TWAS -UNESCO and BİDEBTÜBİTAK.
This blog post will give you the easy steps on how to apply for this program, kindly read to the end so you don’t miss any guideline.
TÜBİTAK-TWAS Postgraduate and Postdoctoral Fellowship Programs applications are now open for the academic year 2023. A fellowship program has been established by the Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey (TÜBTAK) and TWAS for foreign researchers from developing nations who want to work in the departments and labs of the Turkish public and private universities as well as TÜBTAK Research Centers and Institutes to conduct PhD-level research in a field of the natural sciences and related applied sciences.
Objectives of the TÜBİTAK-TWAS Postgraduate and Postdoctoral Fellowship Programs
By giving support financial support to foreign researchers from developing countries who have received their PhDs or are currently enrolled in a doctoral program abroad in the natural and related applied sciences, the program, which was developed in collaboration with BDEBTÜBTAK and TWAS-UNESCO, aims to advance international cooperation of Turkey in science and technology. The processes and requirements for applicants and any young foreign researchers funded by the program are covered in this call notice.
- Provided by: TWAS-UNESCO and BİDEBTÜBİTAK
- Host Country: Türkiye
- Deadline: N/A
- Duration: For a minimum period of 6 months to a maximum period of 12 months
- Eligible Countries: All developing countries (Afghanistan included)
Benefits of the TÜBİTAK-TWAS Postgraduate and Postdoctoral Fellowship Programs
The following support is given to the young researchers as part of the program:
- Fellowship (stipend) paid each month to support living expenses in Turkey.
- At the beginning of the program, there are visa fees.
- Flight from and to Turkey.
- For doctoral students: The help is provided for a minimum of six months and a maximum of twelve months.
- For postdoctoral researchers: The help is provided for a minimum of six months and a maximum of three years.
fields of study
- Agricultural Sciences
- Structural, Cell. & Molecular Biology
- Biological Systems & Organisms
- Medical & Health Sciences, including Neurosciences
- Chemical Sciences
- Engineering Sciences
- Astronomy, Space & Earth Science
- Mathematical Sciences
- Computing and Information Technology.
Eligibility Criteria for TÜBİTAK-TWAS Postgraduate and Postdoctoral Fellowship Programs:
- You must be citizens or permanent residents of a developing nation other than the host country (the dual citizens, the individuals who renounced Turkish citizenship for any reason, are not eligible for the application). (List of Countries)
- Women and candidates from STLCs (Science and Technology Lagging Countries) are encouraged to apply.
- Not possess any visas allowing for either temporary or long-term residence in Turkey or any other developed nation;
- Not presently resident in the nation being visited (Turkey).
- Possessing a certificate of English proficiency; having a current passport.
- Having received formal acceptance from a qualifying department, organization, or lab at a Turkish university, whether public or private and from TÜBTAK Research Centers and Institutes.
- Not accepting any further projects while on fellowship.
- Neither this program nor 2216 – Research Fellowship Program for International Researchers has previously sponsored;
- One TWAS and OWSD program application per calendar year is the maximum a candidate may submit. In that year, applicants are ineligible to participate in the TWAS Visiting Professor programs at any other university. One exception: The institution’s head may still apply for another program even if they ask an outside researcher to offer their knowledge as part of the TWAS Visiting Professor programs.
- Being accountable for any accompanying family members’ finances.
- Candidate must return to one’s own country when the fellowship is over.
Eligibility For doctoral students
- Being 35 years of age or younger as of the application year’s 31st December.
- Holding a certificate for a Master’s degree or equivalent in natural and associated applied sciences
- By the application deadline, the applicant must be enrolled in a Ph.D. program in natural and associated applied sciences (in the subjects mentioned in the call text) at an institution of higher learning in their own country or another developing nation. They must be in an advanced stage of their Ph.D. study in natural and related applied sciences and have completed the Ph.D. Three qualifying tests (in the fields specified in the call text). This need must be attested to by an official Registration & No Objection Certificate obtained within three months before the application date. (It may also briefly explain the schedule and the intended research);
Eligibility For post-doctoral researchers
- The possession of a Ph.D. qualification in the scientific and applied sciences (in the fields specified in the call text).
- Having a job and a research assignment in a developing nation other than the host country. The head/director of the applicant’s present workplace must attest a statement on company letterhead that the applicant is working there and will be allowed leave if the award is approved.
- Being 45 years of age or younger as of the application year’s 31st December.
- If English was not the primary language of instruction, please provide proof in English, such as a score report from a standardized exam (TOEFL, IELTS, etc.) or a letter from your home university attesting to your language proficiency. If English was your primary language of instruction, kindly make a brief statement describing the level of education you received in English, such as high school, a BSc, or an MSc. The applicant must date and sign this declaration.
- Requests for admission must be made to the Turkish institution(s) of choice, NOT TÜBTAK. The application won’t be considered for selection if preliminary acceptance isn’t given. The highest ranking official of the Host Institute in Turkey must sign the acceptance letter, which must be written on the letterhead of the inviting institution. In Turkey, there can only be two academic advisers at a time (two).
List of Universities
For the list of universities in Turkey, click here.
For TÜBİTAK Research Centers and Institutes, see:
- TÜBİTAK MAM,
- TÜBİTAK BİLGEM,
- TÜBİTAK UZAY,
- TÜBİTAK SAGE,
- TÜBİTAK RUTE,
- TÜBİTAK UME,
- TÜBİTAK TÜSSİDE,
- TÜBİTAK TBAE,
- TÜBİTAK ULAKBİM,
- TÜBİTAK National Observatory,
- TÜBİTAK BUTAL.
How to Apply for TÜBİTAK-TWAS Postgraduate?
- The candidate must first build a profile on the platform in the TÜBTAK Researcher Information System (ARBIS), accessible in apply now button below, before submitting the online application form to TÜBTAK. Before submitting an online application, researchers must ensure that their information in the Researcher Information System (ARBIS) and that of their academic advisor(s) in Turkey is current.
- By clicking the Apply now button below, applicants can submit their applications using the TÜBTAK online application system.
Questions about submitting applications using TÜBTAK’s online portal should be sent to email@example.com, or for information, visit the official website.
See More Opportunities: