We are thrilled to announce that applications for the upcoming 2023-2024 academic session at Universitetet i Oslo are now open.
Known for our commitment to empowering students and nurturing their academic and professional aspirations through transformative education, we cordially invite you to embark on an exciting journey with us.
In order to enhance your chances of admission, we recommend carefully reviewing our comprehensive admission guidelines and requirements.
Furthermore, we strongly urge you to explore our diverse range of programs designed to cater to a wide variety of interests. To help you make informed decisions, we have curated a dedicated blog that offers invaluable insights for prospective students like you.
About Universitetet i Oslo
The University of Oslo, also known as Universitetet i Oslo (UiO), is a renowned non-profit public institution of higher education. It was established in 1811 and is situated in the urban environment of the vibrant city of Oslo.
Oslo has a population range of 500,000 to 1,000,000 residents. In addition to its main campus, the university has a branch campus in Kjeller. The Ministry of Education of Norway, known as Kunnskapsdepartementet officially recognizes UiO.
UIO is a coeducational institution with a substantial student body, with an enrollment range of 35,000 to 39,999 students according to UniRank. The university offers a diverse range of courses and programs that lead to recognized higher education degrees, including bachelor’s, master’s, and doctorate degrees.
These programs span various fields of study, as outlined in the UniRank degree levels and areas of study table. With a rich 211-year history, this Norwegian institution follows a selective admission policy that considers entrance examinations, as well as students’ academic records and grades.
International students are encouraged to apply for enrollment at UiO, emphasizing the university’s global outlook and inclusivity. UIO provides students with a wide array of academic and non-academic resources.
These include a comprehensive library, state-of-the-art sports facilities, opportunities for study abroad and exchange programs, online courses, distance learning options, and various administrative services to support the needs of its diverse student body.
Why should I consider Universitetet i Oslo?
Studying at the Universitetet i Oslo (University of Oslo) offers several advantages that make it an attractive choice for prospective students. Here are some reasons to consider studying at this university:
- Academic Excellence: The University of Oslo is renowned for its academic excellence and high-quality education. It consistently ranks among the top universities in the world, offering a wide range of programs and disciplines to choose from.
- Research Opportunities: The university is a leading research institution, providing ample opportunities for students to engage in cutting-edge research across various fields. By studying at the University of Oslo, you can collaborate with renowned professors and researchers at the forefront of their respective fields.
- Variety of Programs: The university offers a diverse range of programs, covering fields such as the humanities, social sciences, natural sciences, medicine, law, and more. Whether you’re interested in the arts, sciences, or professional studies, you’re likely to find a program that suits your interests and aspirations.
- International Environment: The University of Oslo has a strong international focus and attracts students and researchers from all over the world. Studying in such a diverse environment allows for cross-cultural experiences, fostering global perspectives and enabling you to build an international network of contacts.
- Campus and Facilities: The university’s campus is located in the heart of Oslo, providing easy access to the city’s cultural and recreational offerings. The campus itself is well-equipped with modern facilities, libraries, laboratories, and other resources that support a conducive learning environment.
- Supportive Learning Environment: The University of Oslo emphasizes student welfare and provides a supportive learning environment. Professors and staff are dedicated to helping students succeed and are often available for academic guidance and support.
- Opportunities for Personal Growth: Studying at the University of Oslo offers academic development and personal growth. Engaging in student organizations, clubs, and extracurricular activities allows you to develop leadership skills, network with peers, and make lifelong friendships.
- Scholarship Opportunities: The university provides a range of scholarship and financial aid options to support students on their academic journey. These scholarships can alleviate the financial burden and make studying at the University of Oslo more affordable.
- Strong Alumni Network: The University of Oslo has a vast and influential alumni network, both nationally and internationally. Being part of this network can provide long-term benefits, such as career opportunities, mentorship, and professional connections.
- Quality of Life: Oslo consistently ranks high on global quality of life indexes. As a student in Oslo, you can enjoy a safe and vibrant city with excellent healthcare, efficient public transportation, a rich cultural scene, and numerous recreational opportunities.
Ultimately, the decision to study at the University of Oslo depends on your personal preferences, academic interests, and career goals. Consider researching specific programs, speaking with current or former students, and visiting campus if possible. This will enable you to determine whether the university aligns with your aspirations.
Universitetet i Oslo identity
- Name of the university: University of Oslo
- Acronym: UIO
- Year of creation: 1811
Universitetet i Oslo Campus Location
Address: PO Box 1072, Blindern
Tel +47 22 85 50 50
Fax +47 22 85 44 42
Other locations in Kjeller
Universitetet i Oslo Areas and Degree Levels
- Arts and the Humanities
- Business and Social Sciences
- Language and Cultural Studies
- Medicine and Health
- Science and Technology
Universitetet i Oslo tuition details
Undergraduate Postgraduate Local students Up to 999 US dollars (910 Euros) Up to 999 US dollars (910 Euros) International students Up to 999 US dollars (910 Euros) Up to 999 US dollars (910 Euros)
Universitetet i Oslo Admission Information
Introduction Gaining admission to a university is the crucial first step towards accomplishing academic and career aspirations, as well as accessing the diverse opportunities and resources provided by the institution. Admission policies vary by country, type of higher education institution, and specific programs or majors offered.
Prospective students should thoroughly review the admission policies and requirements of each institution they are considering. They should determine their eligibility and, if the institution has a selective admission process, prepare a strong application.
Admission Information from uniRank presents an overview of relevant details regarding Universitetet i Oslo admission policy and statistics.
Gender Diversity in Admission Universitetet i Oslo admits both men and women, creating a coeducational environment.
Admission Selection Process Does Universitetet i Oslo have a selective admission policy? Yes, admission is based on entrance examinations, as well as student’s academic records and grades from their past education.
Acceptance Rate The acceptance rate range for Universitetet i Oslo is not reported.
International Admissions International students are encouraged to apply for admission to this institution, fostering a diverse and inclusive student body.
Admission Office Contact Details For further assistance or inquiries regarding admission, please reach out to the Education Office at the following address: PO Box 1081, Blindern, Oslo 0316 Phone: 22 85 50 50
Universitetet i Oslo Enrollment Profile
Here are the revised size and profile indicators for Universitetet i Oslo:
- Student Enrollment: Universitetet i Oslo boasts a significant student enrollment, ranging from 35,000 to 39,999, making it a highly populous institution.
- Academic Staff: The institution is supported by a dedicated faculty, with 3,500 to 3,999 academic employees.
- Control Type: Universitetet i Oslo is a public higher education institution, operating under public governance.
- Entity Type: Universitetet i Oslo is a non-profit higher education institution, focused on educational services rather than profits.
- Academic Calendar: The institution follows a semester type of academic calendar, dividing the academic year into two main terms.
- Campus Setting: Located in an urban setting, the main campus of Universitetet i Oslo offers a vibrant and bustling environment for students.
- Religious Affiliation: Universitetet i Oslo is not affiliated with any specific religious beliefs or organizations. It maintains a secular approach to education.
UIO Facilities and Services
Facilities and Services
Universitetet i Oslo offers a range of facilities and services to its students. Here is an overview.
- Library: The university has a physical library available for students. You can visit Universitetet i Oslo’s Library for access to various resources.
- Housing: Information about housing facilities is not available at this time.
- Sports Facilities: The institution provides sporting facilities and organizes sports activities for students to participate in.
- Financial Aid: Details regarding financial aid are not reported.
- Study Abroad: The university offers study abroad and exchange program opportunities, allowing students to broaden their academic experience in international settings.
- Distance Learning: For certain programs or courses, this higher education institution provides distance learning, allowing students to access education remotely.
- Academic Counseling: Information about academic counselling services is missing.
- Career Services: There is no information provided about career services.
- Institutional Hospital: Universitetet i Oslo has an institutional hospital owned and operated by the university. This hospital is typically affiliated with medical schools and offers patients a wide range of healthcare services. Additionally, it serves as a teaching hospital for medical students and residents, providing practical training opportunities.
Universitetet i Oslo accreditation details
Institutional Recognition or Accreditation: The University of Oslo holds official recognition and accreditation from the following governing bodies in Norway: the Ministry of Education and Research (Kunnskapsdepartementet).
Year of Initial Accreditation 1811
Specialized or Programmatic Accreditations The Norwegian Agency for Quality Assurance in Education (NOKUT) grants specialized or programmatic accreditations to the University of Oslo.
Universitetet i Oslo Affiliate and Membership Details
The list of memberships and affiliations of Universitetet i Oslo, as provided by UniRank, may not be exhaustive or current. For a comprehensive and up-to-date inventory, it is advisable to visit or check out Universitetet i Oslo’s official website. One of the prominent university memberships is the European University Association (EUA).
Universitetet i Oslo Social Media Platform
UniRank provides concise evaluations, rankings, and performance metrics for Universitetet i Oslo’s social media platforms. These assessments serve as a starting point for comparison and an additional tool for prospective applicants to make informed choices.
- Facebook An evaluation of Universitetet i Oslo’s official Facebook page.
- Twitter An assessment of Universitetet i Oslo’s official Twitter page.
- YouTube A review of Universitetet i Oslo’s official YouTube channel.
- Instagram Exploration of Universitetet i Oslo’s official Instagram page.
- LinkedIn An overview of Universitetet i Oslo’s primary LinkedIn profile.
- TikTok is not available.
To get more information about the admission process, kindly visit the Universitetet i Oslo admission official website to get the latest updates.
Other Admission Opportunities: