The International Merit Scholarship is now available to all graduate and undergraduate students. The scholarship can lower the overall tuition between $300 to $10,000. (two semesters). The scholarship will be based on the residence tuition rate for international students with F-1 and J-1 visas.
If you wish to apply for this opportunity kindly read this to the for easy steps on how to apply.
The International Merit Scholarship is now available to all graduate and undergraduate students. The scholarship can lower the overall tuition between $300 to $10,000. (two semesters). The scholarship will be based on the residence tuition rate for international students with F-1 and J-1 visas. Just the cost of tuition and fees are covered by the prize. This scholarship does not cover any additional expenditures, such as those for accommodation, food, transportation, personal items, books, supplies, or health insurance. Only UHV students are eligible to apply for the scholarship. For undergraduate and graduate full-time study at UHV, grants and waivers are available to fall recipients in the autumn, spring, and summer semesters. The $1000 guaranteed grant for students living on campus is also included in this award.
About University of Houston-Victoria (UHV)
The University of Houston-Victoria is one of four separately accredited institutions that comprise the University of Houston System. UHV is the only institution offering bachelor’s and master’s degree programs within a 100-mile radius of Victoria, Texas.
UHV was founded in 1973 as an upper-level, off-campus center to provide upper-level and graduate programs for students within the Coastal Bend region. In 1978, the university was accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. In 1983, Senate Bill 235 was passed by the Texas Legislature establishing the University of Houston-Victoria with permanent status as a degree-granting university.
- Provided by: University of Houston-Victoria (UHV)
- Location: United States
- Deadline: June 15, 2023
- Announcing date: students will be contacted by email by the first week of July
- Duration: two semesters
- Type: Scholarship
- Eligible Nations: International
- Awarding students who live on campus a scholarship with a $1000 guarantee.
Eligibility Criteria for this Scholarship
Candidates Must meet the following criteria:
- Student must be accepted at UHV.
- For undergraduate students at UHV, the student must be enrolled in at least 12 credits, and for graduate students at least 9 credits, at the time of grant.
- Current or returning students must have two more semesters to complete their degree (semester receiving the scholarship cannot be the final semester).
- For undergraduate students, returning/current students must have a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher, and for graduate students, a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- Volunteer opportunities must have previous approval. All spring scholarship recipients who are eligible must submit a new application before the deadline for the autumn merit scholarship.
- Students from abroad or those with another type of non-immigrant visa:
- Students on F-1 and J-1 visas must be in good standing as of the state date on their immigration documents or earlier.
- Foreign student orientation is required for F-1 and J-1 students at Victoria or Katy.
- All non-immigrant students must maintain strong academic standing and legal immigration status.
- Has a track record of academic success.
Who is ineligible?
- Graduate students who have been awarded a graduate assistantship or a tuition scholarship.
- Athletic scholarships are being awarded to UHV athletes.
- International students are eligible for the International Student Culture Scholarship.
- Students who are recipients of any other UHV tuition scholarship waivers.
- Students who are recipients of any other UHV competitive scholarships.
- Students who pay Texas resident tuition.
- Students enrolled part-time at UHV and part-time at another Texas university.
- Failure to keep academic and immigration status throughout the awarding year.
How to Maintaining the International Merit Scholarship?
- Recipients must continue to work full-time.
- During the awarding semester/year, students must maintain acceptable academic and immigration status.
- For the life of the program, scholarship recipients must maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.5 for undergraduate students and 3.0 for graduate students.
- Give 10 volunteer hours to International Programs throughout the fall, spring, and summer semesters to help with events including International Education Week, International Sash Ceremony, and International Festival.
- F-1 and J-1 visa holders are international students.
- Orientation is required for all new overseas students.
- Any outstanding university costs must be paid on or before the due dates by the scholarship winner.
- Recipients who progress from a bachelor’s degree program to a master’s degree program must reapply for the award.
- Every year, the International Merit Scholarship is not guaranteed. Students must apply again by the deadline.
- Two (2) page personal statement outlining why you should be awarded the Merit Scholarship.
- Submit a two-page résumé.
- To begin, fill out the online UHV General Scholarship Application (founded here). (After you finish this application, it may claim that the deadline has gone. Don’t worry about it; just keep working on the application. Regardless of the date, they require you to finish this application as well).
- Enter your UHV username and password to log in.
- Second, apply for an International Student Merit Scholarship founded in apply now button below.
- You will need to attach the required application criteria. When you press submit, the application and any submitted materials are instantly delivered to the International Programs Office.
- Both of the aforementioned applications MUST be submitted in order for your scholarship application to be considered.
For more information about International Student Merit Scholarship, kindly visit the University of Houston-Victoria’s website.
See More Opportunities: