Exciting news awaits you! Virginia Commonwealth University is delighted to announce that applications are now open for the 2023-2024 academic session.
To get more updates, visit godcentvc.com. You can also click here for similar updates. Our primary objective is to empower students and provide unwavering support as they embark on their journey towards academic and professional success.
We are fully devoted to delivering an innovative and transformative educational experience. We extend a warm invitation to you to join us on this wonderful adventure.
To enhance your chances of admission, we highly recommend familiarizing yourself with our comprehensive admission guidelines and requirements.
Moreover, we wholeheartedly encourage you to explore our wide array of programs, meticulously designed to cater to diverse interests. To help you make well-informed decisions, we have established a dedicated blog that offers valuable insights for prospective students like you.
About Virginia Commonwealth University
Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU), established in 1838, is a prestigious public higher education institution situated in the urban environment of Richmond, Virginia—a small city with a population ranging from 50,000 to 249,999 inhabitants. Recognized and accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges, VCU stands as a sizable coeducational university, enrolling between 25,000 and 29,999 students.
VCU offers a diverse range of courses and programs leading to officially recognized degrees at various levels of higher education. These include pre-bachelor’s degrees (e.g., certificates, diplomas, associate or foundation programs), bachelor’s degrees, master’s degrees, and doctorate degrees across multiple fields of study. For more detailed information, please refer to the table below, outlining the degree levels and areas of study as per uniRank.
With a long-standing history of 185 years, this institution adheres to a selective admission policy, evaluating prospective students based on entrance examinations, academic records, and grades. VCU maintains an acceptance rate range of 90-99%, making it a relatively non-restrictive institution. International students are welcome to apply for enrollment, adding to the university’s diverse student body.
Moreover, VCU provides a comprehensive array of academic and non-academic resources to support students throughout their educational journey. These offerings encompass a library, on-campus housing, sports facilities, financial aid and scholarships, study abroad and exchange programs, online courses, distance learning opportunities, and administrative services.
Why study at Virginia Commonwealth University?
Studying at Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU) offers several compelling reasons. Here are some key points that make VCU an attractive choice for prospective students:
- Academic Excellence: VCU is known for its strong academic programs and has a reputation for excellence in fields such as arts, sciences, health sciences, business, and engineering. It offers over 200-degree programs, including undergraduate, graduate, and professional degrees, providing students with a wide range of options to pursue their interests.
- Location: VCU is located in Richmond, the capital city of Virginia. Richmond is a vibrant and historic city that offers a blend of culture, entertainment, and career opportunities. The city has a thriving arts scene, numerous museums, outdoor recreational areas, and a diverse culinary landscape. Being situated in the heart of Richmond provides students with access to internships, networking opportunities, and potential job prospects.
- Research Opportunities: VCU is a research-intensive institution that encourages students to engage in cutting-edge research across various disciplines. Students have the chance to work closely with renowned faculty members on research projects, enhancing their academic experience and preparing them for future careers or advanced study.
- Diversity and Inclusion: VCU prides itself on being a diverse and inclusive university, welcoming students from all backgrounds. The university fosters an environment that values and supports diversity, equity, and inclusion, providing opportunities for students to engage in dialogue, learn from different perspectives, and develop a global mindset.
- Campus Facilities and Resources: VCU offers state-of-the-art facilities, including modern classrooms, research labs, libraries, and student centres. The campus is equipped with advanced technology and resources to support student’s academic and extracurricular activities. Additionally, VCU provides comprehensive support services, such as career counselling, academic advising, and health and wellness resources, to ensure student’s success and well-being.
- Community Engagement: VCU is deeply committed to community engagement and encourages students to make a positive impact beyond the campus. The university has numerous service-learning initiatives, volunteer opportunities, and partnerships with local organizations, enabling students to apply their knowledge and skills to address real-world challenges.
- Alumni Network: VCU boasts a vast and influential alumni network, with graduates making their mark in various industries worldwide. The strong network provides valuable connections and potential career opportunities for current students and recent graduates.
These factors collectively contribute to making VCU an attractive institution for higher education, offering a well-rounded and enriching academic experience. However, it’s important to research and consider your personal goals, interests, and specific program offerings to determine if VCU aligns with your individual needs and aspirations.
Virginia Commonwealth University’s identity
- Name of the university: Virginia Commonwealth University
- Acronym: VCU
- Year of creation: 1838
- Motto: Make it real
- Colours: Black and gold
Virginia Commonwealth University Campus Location
Address 910 W Franklin Street
Tel +1 (804) 828 0100
Fax +1 (804) 828 1899
Virginia Commonwealth University Areas of Study and Degree Levels
UniRank Study Areas and Degree Levels Matrix™
- Arts & Humanities
- Language & Cultural Studies
- Business & Social Sciences
- Medicine & Health
- Science & Technology
- Arts & Humanities
- Language & Cultural Studies
- Business & Social Sciences
- Medicine & Health
- Science & Technology
Virginia Commonwealth University – tuition fees
Bachelor’s Degree Master’s Degree
Domestic students $15,000-$17,499 (€13,670-€15,950) $15,000-$17,499 (€13,670-€15,950)
International students $35,000-$39,999 (€31,890-€36,450) $25,000-$29,999 (€22,780-€27,340)
Virginia Commonwealth University Admission Information
Admission Information for Virginia Commonwealth University
- University Gender Policy
Virginia Commonwealth University is a coeducational institution, that admits both men and women.
- Admission Selection Criteria
Virginia Commonwealth University follows a selective admission policy. The selection process is based on entrance examinations, students’ past academic records, and grades.
- Acceptance Rate
Virginia Commonwealth University has an acceptance rate ranging from 90% to 99%, indicating that it is a less selective higher education institution.
- Admission Requirements
To apply for admission to Virginia Commonwealth University, the following requirements must be met:
- A secondary school GPA is required.
- Secondary school rank is considered but not mandatory.
- A secondary school record is required.
- Completion of a college-preparatory program is recommended.
- Recommendations are encouraged.
- A formal demonstration of competencies is necessary.
- Admission test scores are required.
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) is required for international students.
- Other tests such as Wonderlic, WISC-III, etc., are neither required nor recommended.
- International Admissions
Virginia Commonwealth University warmly welcomes international students to apply for admission.
- Admission Office
Location: Box 842526, 821 West Franklin Street, Richmond, 23284-2526
Phone: (804) 828 1222
Toll-free: 800 841 3638
Virginia Commonwealth UniversityCarnegie Classification
According to uniRank, Virginia Commonwealth University holds the official Carnegie classification as follows:
- Basic Classification: Doctoral Universities with Very High Research Activity
- Size & Setting: A four-year, large, primarily residential institution
- Enrollment Profile: Predominantly high undergraduate enrollment
- Undergraduate Profile: A selective, four-year, full-time institution with a higher number of transfer-in students
- Undergraduate Instructional Program: Offers a well-balanced curriculum in arts and sciences as well as professional disciplines, with a significant presence of graduate programs
- Graduate Instructional Program: Provides comprehensive research doctoral programs, including medical and veterinary schools
Virginia Commonwealth University Enrollment Profile
Here are the revised size and profile indicators for Virginia Commonwealth University, based on the information provided:
Virginia Commonwealth University has a student enrollment ranging from 25,000 to 29,999, placing it in the category of a large-sized institution.
- Academic Staff:
The institution employs a range of 3,000 to 3,499 academic employees (faculty members).
- Control Type:
Virginia Commonwealth University is a publicly funded higher education institution.
- Entity Type:
Virginia Commonwealth University is a nonprofit higher education institution.
- Academic Calendar:
The institution follows a semester-based academic calendar.
- Campus Setting:
Virginia Commonwealth University’s main campus is situated in an urban setting.
- Religious Affiliation:
Virginia Commonwealth University is not affiliated with any religious organization.
VCU Facilities and Services
Facilities and Services
Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU) offers a range of facilities and services to its students. Here is an overview of what VCU provides:
VCU has a physical library with three branches. The library collection consists of both physical and digital/electronic items. As of 2021, the library reported 1,357,099 physical volumes, 97,668 physical media, 251,016 digital/electronic media, and access to 528 licensed digital/electronic databases. The library is managed by a team of 158 full-time employees, including 60 librarians. VCU’s library has a significant annual expenditure exceeding $100,000. Source: IPDES.
VCU offers on-campus residences or dormitories, as well as off-campus accommodation options for its students. In the 2021 academic year, the total dormitory capacity, both on and off campus, was approximately 5,958 students. Source: IPDES.
- Sports Facilities:
VCU provides sporting facilities and organizes sports activities for its students.
- Financial Aid:
The university offers various types of financial aid, such as scholarships, grants, loans, tuition waivers, and emergency financial aid, to eligible students.
- Study Abroad:
VCU provides opportunities for study abroad and exchange programs, allowing students to experience education in different countries.
- Distance Learning:
VCU offers distance learning options for certain programs or courses. This includes fully online programs at the undergraduate and graduate levels. Source: IPDES.
- Academic Counseling:
Students at VCU receive guidance and support in their academic pursuits through academic counselling services.
- Career Services:
VCU offers career counselling, career assessments, job and internship postings, career events, alumni networking, and other career-related services. These services assist students in transitioning successfully from academic life to professional life.
- Institutional Hospital:
VCU operates an institutional hospital affiliated with the university. These hospitals are typically associated with medical schools and provide a wide range of medical services to patients. Additionally, they serve as teaching hospitals for medical students and residents.
Virginia Commonwealth University’s Accreditation List
Institutional Recognition or Accreditation:
Virginia Commonwealth University holds legal recognition and/or accreditation from the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges.
Year of first Recognition or Accreditation:
Specialized or Programmatic Accreditations:
Virginia Commonwealth University has obtained several programmatic accreditations. The following list showcases some of the notably specialized accreditations, as published by uniRank. Please note that any additional relevant specialized accreditations may be submitted.
- Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics, Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education
- Accrediting Council on Education in Journalism and Mass Communications
- American Academy of Forensic Sciences, Forensic Science Education Programs Accreditation Commission
- American Physical Therapy Association, Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education
- American Psychological Association, Commission on Accreditation
- Association for Clinical Pastoral Education, Accreditation Commission
- Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business
- Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Management Education
- Commission on Accreditation of Medical Physics Education Programs, Inc.
- Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education
- American Dental Association, Commission on Dental Accreditation
- Commission on English Language Program Accreditation
- Computing Accreditation Commission of ABET
- Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs
- Council for Interior Design Accreditation
- Council on Accreditation of Nurse Anesthesia Educational Programs
- Council on Education for Public Health
- Council on Social Work Education, Board of Accreditation
- Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET
- Joint Review Committee on Education in Radiologic Technology
- Joint Review Committee on Educational Programs in Nuclear Medicine Technology
- Liaison Committee on Medical Education
- National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences
- National Association of Schools of Art and Design, Commission on Accreditation
- National Association of Schools of Dance, Commission on Accreditation
- National Association of Schools of Music, Commission on Accreditation
- National Association of Schools of Theatre, Commission on Accreditation
- National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education
- Network of Schools of Public Policy, Affairs, and Administration, Commission on Peer Review and Accreditation
- Planning Accreditation Board
Virginia Commonwealth University Affiliations and Membership
uniRank presents the noteworthy affiliations and memberships of Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU). Please feel free to suggest any other relevant higher education-related organizations that may be missing from this university’s affiliations.
Association of Public and Land-Grant Universities (APLU)
Oak Ridge Associated Universities (ORAU)
National Athletic Association (NAA)
National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA)
Virginia Commonwealth University’s academic structure
- School of the Arts
- School of Dentistry
- School of Business
- School of Education
- School of Nursing
- School of Pharmacy
- School of Medicine
- College of Health Professions
- College of Engineering
- Honors College
- College of Humanities and Science
- School of Social Work
- VCU Life Sciences
- L.Douglas Wilder School of Government and Public Affairs
Virginia Commonwealth University’s Social Media Platform
uniRank provides concise evaluations, rankings, and metrics of various social media platforms associated with Virginia Commonwealth University. These assessments serve as a starting point for comparison and an additional resource to aid potential applicants in their selection process.
Review of Virginia Commonwealth University’s official Facebook page.
Review of Virginia Commonwealth University’s official Twitter page.
Review of Virginia Commonwealth University’s official YouTube channel.
Review of Virginia Commonwealth University’s official Instagram channel.
Virginia Commonwealth University’s primary profile on LinkedIn.
Not applicable (n.a.)
To get more information about the admission process, kindly visit the Virginia Commonwealth University admission official website to get the latest updates.
Other Admission Opportunities: